Safety warningFrom time to time, we see evidence that someone has made a scary mistake when installing a Draper product. Our installation instructions are pretty detailed, because we want installers to know how to keep people safe. Scott Tiner is on the front lines in his work for Bates College. He wrote a piece for rAVe recently that hits the nail on the head. If you haven’t already, please take a look. And think about it.

On March 25th in Alabama, a true tragedy took place. A digital sign installed in an airport came crashing down on a family. It killed a 10-year-old boy and injured his mother and two brothers. You can read about the accident on rAVe’s site here.

Before I go any further, I wanted to make clear that there are still a lot of unknowns. I don’t intend this article to point fingers or place blame. I do think there is an appropriate time and place for that, but I don’t have enough information. Rather, I hope we take a moment to reflect on this incident and recognize that sometimes what we do can be the difference between life and death.

On several of the mail lists that I participate, we get the occasional ridiculous picture of a horrible AV install. We all make jokes about it, which in many cases is appropriate.  Have you seen the picture of a satellite dish attached to a shopping cart? That deserves a good laugh. Then, every now and again the picture will come across that will make you shiver. These are the images of projectors secured with duct tape or sitting in a milk crate hanging from rachet straps. Or this picture, of a LCD panel hanging on by, I don’t know what, clear tape?

Read the rest of Scott’s post on rAVe Publications, here.



Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.
Receive new blog posts via email